Friday, November 30, 2012

BoDy PaRtS, PEARLY whites, & Lip Gloss

   For the next few weeks I will be working on creating a health education program for the teenage girls in the Hope program here on campus.  What is the Hope program you ask?  The hope program was set up to give "HOPE for tomorrow" to an orphan.  Once a child is too old to stay in an orphan home, and they want to continue their education, they can stay in one of the 6 homes on our campus.  During their stay in the home their house parents, and Back2Back, will support them during their time here.  There has been students who have graduated college and received jobs.  This is just one way that Back2Back is helping to break the cycle of the orphan.    
  OK, Let's 
                take a 
                     few steps back      
   Before I came to Mexico I had been hoping to do some health education one way or another.  I had been dreaming with one of my roommates about doing some health education, especially with the teen girls.  There are two homes on campus with 8 girls each.  Well, my roommate was talking to one of the house parents & asked her if she thought I would be interested in doing some health education with the girls in her house.  The house parent had explained that she had hoped to have some one do this, but she didn't think they would listen if it would come from her.  Because they were all brought up in the children's homes, she explained, many of them haven't been taught the basic hygiene tips maybe we all learned.  They often don't learn those types of things in school either.....  
    Monday I had a meeting with this house parent, and my roommate Jenn, who can speak fluently in Spanish.  We shared our ideas and became very excited.  We are going to make it a two day...maybe even three day event in late January or early February. We are hoping to spread them out on the weekend.  We will decorate the room for the occasion and make learning fun.  I will be going over basic hygiene, safety, and sexual education.  We had talked about giving out little bags with toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, lotion, finger nail clippers, pads(sorry to the men who are reading this), and maybe even lip gloss or nail polish.    
NOW...I am so very excited... But, I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of material and my ability....or lack of... to speak in spanish.  It has gotten a little better since coming here, but I can't go much beyond a basic conversation.  I often have the deer in the head lights look when I try to respond in Spanish.   I am also trying to figure out how I can actually make some of these "gross" topics something FUN to talk about for a teenager.
** So, here is where you come in...I need much prayer in getting all the material put together.  Eríca, the house parent, just keeps telling me to pray about it... and whatever you feel right about, you will teach.  She also believes my spanish will get better!!! I hope my faith becomes as BIG as hers soon...or I am in trouble! : )  Also, I would love any ideas you would have, OR during all these christmas deals find any good prices on things like nail polish, deodorant, lipgloss or lotion.  I already have toothpaste and toothbrushes, so that won't be a problem.  But, I might need some help getting a few other things! If you are interested in searching or donating, please message me on Facebook or email me at: Cwalter@back2back.org.  Thank You everyone for joining me....and, HAPPY DECEMBER!!     

1 comment:

  1. Count me in. I am searching the Internet and have some friends in Avon who would be willing to help.

    ReplyDelete