Sunday, September 16, 2012

I arrived!

This is part of the campus I will be staying at in Monterrey, Mexico. Yes, these mountains are real!

          On Saturday the 8th of September I left my house in Tallmadge, Ohio for the Cleveland airport at 5:00am.  It was a rainy,cloudy morning with a long car ride of my mom backing into a ditch, a lot of silence, many yawns, and a few tears.  My sister, mom, and boyfriend were all there to say their "we will see you later's."  My dad had to work that day, so I woke him from his sleep to give a quick hug.  I really hadn't slept the night before, and that night I had been thinking how blessed I am to have so many people in my life who love me enough to support me to make this happen.  If it was not for my monthly supporters, and all the donations from family,friends, and my church of Whipple Heights in Canton, I would not be going.  As I said my final "byes" I walked through security a ball of mess, and not able to think.  I didn't even remember to take my shoes off before walking through the metal detector's.  
       As I sat waiting for the first of 3 flights, I cried because I was overwhelmed with so many emotions.  I cried because I realized I was leaving my friends, my family, my sister who is pregnant, my boyfriend, my job, and all the things I have made a comfort in my life.  I cried because I had so much joy.  I had joy because I was given this awesome opportunity that God has been calling me to since my Sophmore year of college.  I cried because I was scared....scared of the unknown, scared I was going to a new place, scared of being alone, scared of not knowing a language and culture, and mostly scared I would not have a purpose.  I would not be used.  Then I thought of a verse that sat on my desk, given to me by a friend, through my last year of college.  Jeremiah 29:11. I have used this verse on many of my support letters, and I often pray this verse many time's.  The week I left for Mexico my boyfriend's grandmother passed away suddenly from cancer.  Although I have only known her for 2 years, she was an amazing woman of Christ, and she became a part of my family.  This verse was her favorite and was even written on the white board in her hospital room.  As I sat there in the airport, this verse gave me peace, because I knew He had a plan for me.....just as He had used her for so many years.  As this made me cry a little more, and as more people looked at me, all I could do was pray to God that this was all Him, and He would take care of everything else.  
      I flew through Atlanta, San Antonio, and then finally got to my last flight to Monterrey.  There were only a hand full of people on the flight, and it seemed to be the longest flight ever.  We were having some issues during the landing where we circled the airport numerous times.  I was one of a few people on the flight who had to use those nifty white bags they keep in the seats.  The ones where I often think, "who actually has to use those."  I began to cry after becoming overwhelmed with anxiety.  Again I had to think of the verse, Jeremiah 29:11.  I prayed that God could use me somehow with this organization, this staff, these people, and these orphans of mexico. Yes, I pray that I can be used somehow in the clinic, but I pray I can be used in any way that is needed.  At 4:00pm I finally arrived in Monterrey, Mexico.  My dear friends who are on staff with Back2Back, Courtney&Michael picked me up at the airport.....and I could not be more grateful for their smiles. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment