Sunday, September 16, 2012

Language School

I arrived in San Miguel last sunday, and I have been here a week already! San Miguel was founded in 1541, and it contains many old colonial homes & buildings.  The city is small and the roads are made of bricks & stones.  I actually love walking on the old roads, and hearing the church bells throughout the day.   I have not enjoyed hearing fire works almost every night this week though. The staff at the school have been nice enough to take me around, and tell me all the history of the city.
     I have two more weeks to go before returning to Monterrey.  I have class M-F, 9a-1p.  Although it is only 4 hours of class, my brain feels packed with information after.  I feel overwhelmed at times & think things are never going to catch on.  At the end of week one, I think I am improving, BUT I still have so much to learn!  Everytime I think it gets better, I go out to buy something from a tienda (small store) and think "I have no idea what you are saying, can you please slow down!"  I have 3 teachers, A woman whose name is Socorro.  She is very conservative, stern, and often confused why I am here alone.  My other teacher's name is Miguel.  He is younger, but he is also stern at times.  He is always quick to correct me, which I am grateful for, but at times I crack a smile out of him for saying something really embarrassing.  My last teacher, martha, is also an owner of the school.  She is so kind hearted, patient, and is always trying to help in any way.  I just keep hoping that I will have a good base after leaving here.  I still tend to freeze up when someone outside the school talks with me, so I hope it gets better. :) The rest of the day after class, I either walk around San Miguel to practice my spanish, go to a market, study & do homework, or spend time with Paula.  Paula is the only other student here right now.  She is staying in an apartment off campus, so we often meet somewhere.  She is from California, and is a mother of her own.  She is retired (I believe) and she is here to learn the language to work with a company.  She got connected with an orphanage here that is about 15 minutes away from the school.  She found them just by searching on the internet.  She took it in her own hands to connect with the orphanage & ask what she could do for them.   As they were talking they explained to Paula that they can only celebrate birthdays once every 4 months.  Paula had a great idea and asked if she could sponsor a fiesta for them over the weekend for Mexico's independence day.  They loved the idea and Paula began to plan&prepare throughout the week.  I was able to go with Paula during the week to pick out a piñata, hair bows/bands, candy, etc. for the girls.  I am so grateful for Paula to ask me to join, and for her gracious heart.
    The orphanage "Casa Hogar Santa Julia" contains 33 girls. I believe the range is from 2-18 yrs old.  The 18 year old, Cassandra, is the first to graduate high school from there.  They are all very excited for her & they hope she can get some scholarships to attend College.  Some of the "Madres", the nuns, came to pick us up at Paula's apartment.  As we reached the orphanage, the youngest girls ran to great us with hugs,kisses, and excitement.  Paula passed out some of the gifts she had got them as they surrounded her with excitement and wonder. I helped put some of the bows in the girls hair & they could barely wait for me to finish before they wanted to touch it to see what it felt like in their hair.  One of the nine year old girls gave her gift to one of the other orphans.  The other orphan is a thirty year old who is mentally handicapped.  She was not able to make it outside in time, so this girl gave her gift to her.  Me and Paula were amazed by this girls generosity, and the fact that she was so willing to give up her gift.  Luckily, Paula had something to replace this kind girls gift. :)
    I had so much fun running around with them, picking them up, hugging them, talking with them (well trying to), and just loving on them.  I even enjoyed dancing with them to the music they hd playing outside!  They were over joyed with the snacks Paula bought them, and they loved the fruit salad she made.  They aren't used to getting things like chips & pop, so they were really excited.  They were able to buy meats, potatoes, cake, ice cream, and much more with the money Paula graciously gave them.  It was also a blast to watch them crack open the piñata!  It was out of control when all of the candies and toys dropped to the floor.  Before the time was over, I was able to talk with an american man who has lived in San Miguel for 2 years, and who volunteers time with them.  He began telling me stories of the girls there and my heart began to break all over again.  Many of the girls were there because their parents have issues with drugs, alcohol, and money.  Many of the girls had been beaten or sexually abused from their mother's boyfriends.      
One of the roads all ready for Independece Day!






They Loved the Face Paint...maybe too much! 



All of the girls,some of the madras, Paula, and me
    Last night was a great reminder of why I am here, and it made me excited to get back in Monterrey.  I still don't know what my role will be quit yet in Monterrey, but I am excited to find out.  My time yesterday at the orphanage encouraged me to learn spanish, in hopes that I won't just be able to pick up children and love them, but be able to explain to them how much God loves them too.

1 comment:

  1. We are so blessed. We are reminded of how blessed we are when we see others who have less than us. Forgive us, Father, when we complain about petty things and help us to remember others suffer more than we do. Bless these children of Mexico and help them to see You through Chrissy. Keep her safe, healthy, and effective during her year of service to You and Mexico.

    ReplyDelete